Monday, July 5, 2010

Honoring 'Merica and its Servicemen

So as I am writing this sentence it is technically still July 4th, but I cant type 300 words a minute so it will be July 5th. I also get distracted a lot even when it isn't homework...butterfly!

So today is a great time to honor servicemen. No, I am not talking about the military or special forces or even the Coast Guard; I am talking about your very own FUPO--the Furman University Police Officers.

So I don't own a car a probably won't own one while I am at Furman. I have heard stories about how it is impossible to not get written up once in your four years there. I didn't have a car so I thought well that won't happen to me. I worked at Furman and heard stories of their encounters with them and their negative feelings towards the officers--well just some of them. I was kinda shocked. I always hear bad stuff about the officers coming from the students but the faculty too?! Yep, it was true. My encounters with FUPO haven't been that great either.

Last semester I rode the shuttle a few times and I was laughed at but whatever my bike was stolen and I don't own a car so I was screwed sometimes. As I was riding FUPO stopped him and started to heckle him. It was all for fun and games, but seriously, is there anything else they do at night? The driver voiced his strong feelings about them. He said basically they are want-to-be cops. He told me a story about how FUPO called up the shuttle and asked to go to MacDonald's in order to get their weed. He said he was confused but went to pick them up and there was no one there. He said this happened two or three times at night.

During maymester, I drove my parent's car there because well you know why. I didn't know where to park so I parked in the student center lot, which was about a 4-5 min. walk. I heard from students that FUPO doesn't care about parking in the summer so I parked in 10 min. parking for the last couple of days. On the very last day I see a ticket on the car and I about lost it; it was a $60 ticket. I panicked at first but I went to public safety and was gonna "stick it to the man" (and officer 21. Personally I think that there should be a movie called 21, which isn't about black jack but about officer 21's life and what happend to him during his life that he would want a job that just deals with writing people up and making people pay way extremely expensive tickets.) I got out of the $40 no permit fine and supposedly there is a pass specifically for people without a permit for maymester. I didn't get out of the $20 ticket for parking in 10 min. but I did pay it the next day which I got half off. One of the officers said something along the lines of, "That's a good deal. That's like getting a $60 car for $20. I said, "Yeah, you show me where they sell $60 cars". After my conversation, I learned that there is no such thing as public parking at Furman--even in the chapel lot, student center lot, and any other lot that most people think is "public" parking. Supposedly you must get a one day parking pass, but no one knows that and it is not advertised anywhere until you get a ticket.

So all of us Furman people salute you FUPO for working hard and making sure that the basically empty campus during the summer has cars not longer than 10 min. in 10 min. parking, checking passes, lightening up the mood with some prank calls, and making sure we don't break the 18 mph speed limit on various roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment